Sunday 28 June 2015

System Camera Reviews (4) Olympus OM-D E-M1 with Zuiko 12-40 f/2.8 PRO (Chris)

I am very happy with my new toy!  I have added the Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300 f4.8-6.7 II (Thank you Clive D) and have also experimented with the Panasonic 45-200 f4-5.6  I have a Nissin Di486 flash (Guide No 33) which I bought for my Panasonic G1 and is completely compatible with the OMD and takes over when the bundled flash (Guide No 10) runs out of steam.  I can use the bundled flash as a master and the Nissin as a remote with TTL metering

Nice surprises

1. 10 fps
2. Weight (for travel and walkabout)
3. Low light performance
4. In body 5 axis image stabilization - experimenting with the 75-300 (full frame equivalent 150-600) at 250 upwards hand held without problems
5. Weather proof
6. 12-40 f/2.8 lens is a great walkabout lens.  Equivalent to 24 - 80 and light as a feather and sharp as a pin

Ooh - er shocks!

1. Battery life - I was glad to hear from Mark Farrington that 3rd party batteries work well and I now have the original + two spares
2. Some of the controls are less than perfect - the four point adjuster on the back moves the target focus around and I have been known to have moved it accidentally.  It can be re-programmed I’m told, but I have not yet discovered how
3. The Manual is more or less useless.  Call me old fashioned, but when I take out a 200+ page manual, I hope to find all that I need within its covers; alas, no.  The English section is 8 pages long including 3.5 pages of Health & Safety of which 1 page is specially for our transatlantic cousins (“Do not immerse the flash into water of other liquids” and such like).  I have bought a third party book.

I have tried to pick out some images which show a broad breadth of use - the horses at Ely show the long lens at work with mid-level high ISO. The bishop in the church shows a very low light shot without flash, the flowers (are intended to) show sharp focus from the 10-40 and the goldfinches again high(ish) ISO + handheld at 300 mm focal length.


A couple more good points
Focus peaking - I hadn’t heard of this until I tripped over it in an article I was reading this afternoon - I presume that it is a mirrorless only feature?  I shall experiment in Menorca

The ease with which my phone became a wireless remote for the camera, complete with viewfinder info in the phone screen, but I wish that I could stop it showing me each image that I shoot on the phone in edit mode.  I can get over this using continuous shooting, but that may not be appropriate if my camera is on a tripod pointing at a branch waiting for a passing eagle to rest on the branch whilst I sit indoors to avoid alarming said raptor

And a bad one.


It’s all very well being able to rattle away at 10 fps, but only with continuous AF turned off - if I want continuous AF with jpegs only, I can get 6 fps and with RAW, 3.5 - Not quite what it said on the tin!

No comments:

Post a Comment